SELENIUM: BENEFITS AND POTENTIAL RISKS
Selenium is an essential mineral important for different bodily processes. Apart from being an antioxidant, it is involved in DNA synthesis and the maintenance of healthy hair. Moreover, it plays a crucial role in the production of thyroid hormones and in fertility. Selenium cannot be produced by the body and thus must be taken up through food. Animal products are generally a good source of selenium, as the mineral is added to the food the animals are fed with. Selenium is also found in plant based sources like seeds, nuts and spinach. Unfortunately, not all that glitters is gold. The amount of selenium in foods is highly dependent on the soil of origin. Most of Europe has selenium-poor soils so vegans and vegetarians are at higher risk for a deficiency. People with digestive disorders, heavy smokers or alcoholics also have a higher risk. During pregnancy or breastfeeding a higher intake of selenium is also necessary. Typical symptoms of a selenium deficiency include muscle weakness, fatigue, hair loss or a weakened immune system.
PLANTBASED AND OPTIMALLY DOSED
Our selenium is 100% natural and comes from Indian mustard seeds. In comparison to synthetic and
isolated forms, our capsules contain organically bound selenium, comprising a unique compound of
phytonutrients, which results in a higher bioavailability and bioactivity. The natural form can therefore be absorbed, stored and utilized in the body much more efficiently. But that’s not all. Our dosage is 100 mcg per capsule and hence not overdosed with 200 mcg or more. The reason is simple. Selenium is essential, but the body only requires small amouts (55 mcg is the daily European recommendation for healthy adults). An overdose can have detrimental side effects starting from garlic breath and metal taste in the mouth, to discolored and brittle nails, hair loss, muscle or joint pain, nausea, and vomiting, fatigue and depression. And last but not least, our selenium comes from mustard seeds is not derived from yeast: this make the product suitable for people with a yeast allergy or intolerance.</p
WHY IS SELENIUM SO IMPORTANT?
- Contributes to the maintenance of normal hair
- Contributes to normal hair pigmentation
- Contributes to normal spermatogenesis
- Contributes to the normal function of the immune system
- Contributes to the protection of cells from oxidative stress
- Contributes to the normal thyroid function
- Whole foods are the best sources of selenium
- The amount of selenium in plant-based foods varies depending on the soil for this reason
- vegans and vegetarians could may have a risk of selenium deficiency.
- Countries closer to the ocean provided a better selenium supply than countries in central Europe.
- Brazil nuts are high in selenium, even if they are grown in soil that is not rich in the element. (1 nut usually covers the daily requirement of selenium for an adult)
GOOD TO KNOW
|Type of ingredients:||Minerals|
|Shipping weight:||0,05 kg|
|Ingredients:||Linseed flour, capsule shell (hydroxypropyl methylcellulose), mustard seed (Brassica nigra) extract|
|Note:||The recommended dose should not be exceeded. Food supplements are not a substitute for a balanced and varied diet and a healthy lifestyle. Keep out of reach of children. Store in a cool, dry and dark place.|
|Directions:||Take 1 capsule daily with sufficient food and liquid.|